Upgrading firmware on Netgear M4100 range
Netgear seem to construct a different interface for each of their devices - even those within the ProSafe range. The M4100 range firmware upgrade process is different from other devices and not very clear in the manuals.
Here's the process to follow:
- There are different ways to upgrade the firmware, but I have used the easy HTTP browser based method. I assume the reader is able to navigate to the web interface of the switch
- Note that the links here are for the Netgear M4100-D12G (GSM5212v1h1). If you are using a different model in the M4100 range, please make sure you choose the correct software for your device
- Check to see if there is a newer version of the firmware you currently have installed
- To view your current version, on the M4100 navigate to System/Management/Device status/Firmware version
- To view latest version of firmware available from Netgear, look here.
- Download the latest version of the firmware to a temporary folder on your PC
- Right click on the zip file and select "Extract all". This will extract a *.stk file and a release notes file - read this as it contains important information
- On the M4100, navigate to Maintenance/Download/HTTP file download
- Select File type="Archive"
- Click "Select file open" and select the *stk previously extracted
- Click "Apply" (bottom right of window)
- Wait until the upgrade has completed (this can be ~10 minutes, so be patient!)
- Now you need to apply the upgrade by navigating to Maintenance/Reset/Device reboot
- Select "Save prior to reboot" and click "Apply" (bottom right of window)
- Wait for the switch to restart
- Verify that the new version of firmware has been installed by navigating to System/Management/Device status/Firmware version
I hope this helps you.
My technical config.: Windows 10/IE 11.